Tuesday, July 3, 2012
National Indian Education Study 2011
The National Indian Education Study (NIES) is designed to provide information about the academic performance of American Indian and Alaska Native (AI/AN) students in reading and mathematics, as well as their exposure to Native American culture. In 2011, the study was administered to students at grades 4 and 8 as part of the 2011 National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP).
Key findings from the National Indian Education Study 2011 include:
• In 2011 mathematics, AI/AN students scored lower on average than non-AI/AN students at both grades 4 and 8. In both grades, the score gaps were larger than the gaps in 2005.
• In 2011 reading, AI/AN students scored lower in both grades 4 and 8 than their non-AI/AN peers. However, these score gaps were not significantly different from the gaps in previous assessments.
• In 2011, as in previous assessments, female AI/AN students scored higher in reading than their male counterparts at grades 4 and 8; there continues to be no gender gap in mathematics performance.
• AI/AN students in Oklahoma scored higher than their peers in the nation in reading and mathematics at both grades.
• Compared to 2009, AI/AN students attending Bureau of Indian Education schools scored higher in 2011 in mathematics at grade 4 and in reading at grade 8.
• Compared to other schools in NIES, higher percentages of BIE schools had community members visit to share traditions and culture with the students.
About 10,200 AI/AN students at grade 4 and 10,300 students at grade 8 participated in the 2011 NIES survey. Surveys were also completed by students’ teachers and school administrations. Results showed how the educational experiences of AI/AN students differed based on the type of school they attended and the proportion of AI/AN students in the school. For example, AI/AN students in BIE schools were more likely to report having some or a lot of knowledge about their AI/AN history, have teachers who reported learning about AI/AN students from living and working in the AI/AN community, and attend schools where members of the AI/AN community visit the school to discuss education issues.
Summary of National Results:
*Learn more about the NIES sample and what the mathematics and reading assessments measure.
*Read about NAEP mathematics scales and reading scales and the NAEP mathematics achievement levels and reading achievement levels.